Piece of life
Just one month left to finish this school session… I’m getting there. And hopefully, I will have more time to bake and share with you.
Cooking has always been a stress reliever for me. Occasionally I’ll take a break from studying to relax in the kitchen. The last recipe I managed to include in my schedule was this lemon pie. To make it I had to split the steps over 3 days… I assure you it’s really easy to make, I just don’t have much time.
About the lemon curd pie
This recipe is one of our family classics. We’ve been making it for years, and it remains one of our favorite recipes. No big secret here, just follow the steps and you’ll get it easily.
I love acidity, so I like this pie with many lemons and little sugar. It may not be to everyone’s taste, but that’s how we like it. Nothing is stopping you from decreasing the lemon and/or increasing the sugar.
Finally, you can add the famous meringue on top for those who love to indulge. Personally I like it better without it, once again it’s just a matter of taste.
If you are looking for a change, you can add 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds to the dough.
Lemon curd pie
For the dough
- 100 g butter (cold, diced)
- 200 g flour
- 100 g confectioner's sugar
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 pinch of salt
- 120 ml lemon juice (fresh) (about 3 lemons)
- 40 g corn starch
- 1 egg
- 300 ml water
- 160 g wugar
- 2 bags vanilla sugar
- 1 lemon zest
For the dough (if you don't have a stand mixer you can do it by hand)
- Place the flour and butter in the bowl of the stand mixer (equipped with the sheet). Beat at low speed until you have a "coarse sand".
- Add sugar, zest, salt and egg. Mix until the dough is homogeneous.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In the meantime, place the dough in the mold. Dock the dough with a fork.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then let the dough cool down.
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan. Mix well (if you have one use a magic spoon whisk).
- Heat over low heat, stirring constantly.
- The mixture will start to thicken after a few minutes. Stop cooking and set aside.
Lemon curd pie
- Pour the lemon curd over the cooked pie crust.
- Put back in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool before serving.