On this hot weekend, I wanted to share with you a simple recipe for olive oil with basil. It’s my favourite oil at the moment; there’s nothing easier to make… really!
I chose basil because I love it and because I have plenty of it in my little urban garden… but there are many ways to flavour olive oil. Spice oil is probably the most famous, but lemon, garlic and many other flavours are possible.
There are two main methods of flavouring oils: cold and hot. While the cold version would be tempting with the weather we have, it would take several weeks before you could enjoy it. On the other hand, the hot method allows you to get the oil ready quickly. So I opted for the latter. For the recipe, I followed the advice found on the website of an Italian olive oil producer. All you have to do is heat the oil to a precise temperature which will allow the essential oils of the basil to infuse in the oil in an optimal way.
Once ready, use it to garnish salads, pasta, or vegetables.
A nice little taste of summer on your plate!
OLIVE OIL FLAVOURED WITH BASIL
- Pour the olive oil into a saucepan.
- Add coarsely chopped basil leaves.
- Heat the olive oil to a temperature of 60 to 70°C. When the oil reaches this temperature, remove the pan from the heat and let it cool.
- Repeat the process twice.
- Filter the oil and store it in a glass container, away from light.