Piece of life
For a long time, I have denigrated peanut butter. It seemed to me to be the worst food possible. Why? Well, frankly, I don’t know, one of those preconceptions that should be avoided. Even after I moved to Quebec, it took me many years to try it. And my first attempts were pretty bad. The texture surprised me at first [it’s quite pasty], and I hadn’t really chosen the best quality. But with time and good advice, it became a revelation. Peanut butter has become indispensable at our house, and it’s the only thing my boy wants to spread on his bread for breakfast. I have to buy it in a 2 kg format to last more than a month.
Star ingredient : peanut butter
Let me tell you more about this product and guide you in its discovery [I want to spare you my bad experiences].
What is peanut butter ?
It is simply a peanut paste. Peanuts are rich in oil [the famous peanut oil], and by crushing them, the oil is released, and the mass liquefies [as with all nuts]. The longer you mix them, the more liquid the paste becomes, and that is how you get peanut butter.
Can you make butter from other nuts ?
Almond, hazelnut, cashew nut butter… It’s the same principle. And if you mix hazelnut butter with chocolate it will give you a wonderful spread, much better than the famous one of our childhood.
How to choose peanut butter ?
There are 2 kinds of peanut butter: creamy and crunchy. The creamy one is completely crushed so it is smooth, the crunchy one has small pieces of peanuts which give a little bit of crispiness. This choice is only a question of taste, my preference goes for the crunchy one.
What is essential is to choose a natural nut butter, i.e. a product that contains only peanuts [no sugar, no salt, no additives…]. In some bulk stores [Vrac en folie, Bulk Barn, for example], you can even make your butter on the spot; fresher than that, it’s impossible.
But my favorite is Mille et une noix. This Sherbrooke company makes wonderful products. Since I discovered them I only buy from them, besides their classic butter, you should also try their chocolate hazelnut butter, it’s divine!
About the peanut butter cookies
3 ingredients [and a bit of salt if you want], 5 minutes max to prepare, and 12 minutes cooking time… all is said, right? It’s simple, quick and delicious!
Easy peanut butter cookies with only 3 ingredients
- Cookie sheets
- 250 g peanut butter (or any other nuts butter)
- 125 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (or silicone mat).
- In a bowl mix the peanut butter with the sugar and salt.
- Add the egg and mix until you obtain a homogeneous paste.
- Cut the dough into 16 identical pieces (approximately, no need to weigh them). To make it easier to cut the dough evenly, you can form a sausage with the dough before cutting it into pieces. Otherwise use a teaspoon.
- Form balls and place them on the sheets, taking care to leave a space between each one. Flatten the balls slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for about 12 min, until the edges take on a slightly golden color (the cookies will still be soft when they come out of the oven, this is normal. They will dry as they cool). Leave to cool on a wire rack.